Shoppers should expect to receive their order in the correct time and in good condition. However, meeting these minimum expectations will not help you to be remembered.
You must wow your customers with a unique and memorable unboxing experience if you want to build trust with them and make them loyal fans. It can make a difference between customers who leave 5-star reviews and refer their friends to you, and those who silently disappear. Click here for more information on the best business plans and other amazing tips.
You don’t want your customers to become bored or unsubscribe if you offer a subscription box. Unique packaging can be a great way for customers to stay engaged and delight with every unboxing experience. It will also help you build a deeper relationship with them.
Four ways to improve product packaging for your online store
1. Place your brand on the shipping box
Most adults feel a little like a child on their birthday when a package arrives by mail. Customers love receiving their package and opening it to reveal their purchase. It’s an adventure!
When opening a birthday present, do you not look at the tag first to identify who it is? You want your customer to be able to identify the package from you. So tie your brand into the excitement by writing your name on the box.
Teabento has, for instance, a unique box design using their brand colors with their logo prominently displayed at the front. It’s obvious who the box is made from.
Many companies offer online shipping boxes and mailers that can be customized at an affordable price. The design can be customized with your logo and name, and prices vary depending on how many you order.
These are some other options to attach your logo on the outer packaging if you don’t have the budget for custom boxes and envelopes.
- Stickers & Mailing Labels– These stickers can be placed anywhere on the box to instantly let your customer know that it is from you.
- Customized Stamps– Create a stamp that features your logo and name, big enough to make a statement. You can create a customized, instant box by using ink of your brand’s primary colour.
- Colorful tape – Instead using clear packing tape, you can use decorative tape with your company’s logo or company name.
Your goal is to make your customer feel instantly brand-recognizable and to generate excitement about the next step, which will be unpacking the goods. This is customer service because it reduces confusion and replaces it with clarity. Instead of feeling the “What’s that?” moment at the door, they feel the excitement of “It is here!”
- Magento Pos
- Shopify Pos
- Bigcommerce Pos
- Woocommerce Pos
- Netsuite pos
- Bigcommerce automation
- Shopify automation
2. Combining Design and Function
Functional packaging is crucial for cost control and customer experience. Each piece of packaging material should serve a purpose.
If you don’t have the space to mail a large package with lots of filler, you should opt for a padded mailing. Environmentally-conscious customers will notice if their package contains wasteful or excessive material.
You should protect perishable and breakable products if you are shipping them.
Here are some tips:
- Select the right size box. It’s easier for your item, or other items, to move and break during transit.
- Use bubble wrap to protect your product. Pad the box with foam so that it doesn’t move.
- Add a “Special handling Fragile” label to your box. This informs the shipping company that the contents are fragile.
- Keep liquids in waterproof bags. Double-seal them to prevent spillage.
- Get shrink wrap.
- Cold items should be shipped in insulated packaging. For ice cream, seafood and other products that need to be kept cool, proper insulated foam containers can be used.
- Dry ice and cold packs are options. It is not a good idea for your food to be melted or heated beyond safe limits.
Zana uses a plastic wrap to protect its products during shipping. This is just one part of their packaging process to ensure everything arrives safely and sound.
Consider purchasing insurance for your product, or opting to use priority shipping methods with built-in insurance to protect your customers in the event of an unfortunate event.
The customer will be pleased with the way you have wrapped the items in protective packaging.
Research shows that 40% of consumers will share images of packages if they find them interesting. 52% of respondents said they would purchase the same product again if it came in a premium packaging.
Your customers will associate your brand with positive, beautiful packaging.
There are five ways to make your packaging more appealing while still being functional.
- You can use colorful tissue paper to represent your brand or create custom tissue with your logo or name.
- To keep fragile items safe, insert customized or colorful bubble wrapping and bubble mailers
- Use customized stickers to seal your wrapping or tissue paper.
- For perishable items, use thermal mailers or box liners.
- Use colorful fillers such as Kraft paper, peanuts and vermiculite to keep your products from moving during shipping.
Fairy Loot creates a magical experience for their customers with their boxes. Customers are always surprised by the surprise of their magical fillers, which include sparkles and flowers.
Do you have to use bright colors in packaging? Not necessarily.
Your brand should be your identity. Your packaging should reflect your brand’s values. Use natural-colored or green paper.
Luxury watches should be packaged in a way that reflects the luxury nature of the products.
If your products are whimsical and fun, you can add color.
You should choose shipping and packaging materials that reflect your company’s brand. Unboxing will determine what your customers think about you and the products. You must ensure it is the right one.
3. For additional marketing, you can use product packaging
It is easier to convert existing customers through marketing than new customers. Motivating an existing customer to purchase again is far cheaper than acquiring a new one.
Start this process with your product packaging. These are just a few of the ideas that you can use, at a very low cost.
- Create a packing slip for every order. Make yours unique by adding your company name, logo, and using the same fonts and colors.
- Create an information card, brochure or sales letter to introduce a new product or ask for feedback.
- Direct response marketing: Include specific, trackable calls to action such as coupon codes, phone numbers or an Instagram contest.
- Add a link to you website. You can target specific buyers by creating a landing page, or just link to your homepage.
- Encourage social sharing Link to your Instagram or Twitter accounts.
These customers are likely to look at all the products you send because they just purchased your product.
There is no better time to capture your audience than this moment. Make use of it!
Lebelik shared this Instagram video showing their packing process. Notice how each item is carefully packaged and protected. Marketing materials are included as well and readily visible when customers open the boxes. They even include a few sparkles.
Your packaging should reflect your online store and website. Through careful marketing, you want to build a relationship with your buyer so that they return to your site again and again. You should make it easy for them, so they will return to you again and again.
4. Enhance Your Customer Service Experience
Personalize your order to make your customer feel special. Send a handwritten note signed by you and include their name. They will be able to see that you care about them and appreciate the effort you put into personalizing their order.
L’affinage goes an extra mile by including a handwritten note of appreciation in the box. Personalization is a great way to build trust and loyalty with customers.
You can anticipate any questions customers might have by creating an information sheet that includes instructions, return policies, procedures, guarantees and warranties.
Include contact information. If they have any questions, please share your email address and telephone number with them.
After your customer orders the product, you want to address any concerns they may have. Answering all of their questions and anticipating any objections will help them feel confident that they have made the right choice.
Give away something – everyone loves free stuff. Give them a surprise gift to show your appreciation. For a discount on your next purchase, insert a coupon.
This is a great way to introduce customers and colleagues to complementary products. A sample of a different flavour may be helpful if the customer isn’t satisfied with what they ordered. They may decide to try the sample and then order it again.
Let’s suppose you have a wine subscription that is tailored for women and a whiskey subscription for men. A whiskey sample pack could be included in wine orders to attract new subscribers to your whiskey line.
Always thank your customers for their business. A thank you card that is well-designed and mass-printed will be better than sending a simple invoice.
Meet Your Customer’s Expectations With Product Packaging
You can delight your customers beyond the purchase point and extend your reach to the moment they open and receive their packages. This will allow you to turn them into loyal fans and provide additional opportunities for delight.